It's that time of year again...time to get down and dirty and clear out the clutter. Think of alternatives this year by avoiding harsh and dangerous chemicals. For your home and for you! Did you know that indoor air pollution in our homes can be as much as 100 times worse than outdoor air pollution?
Here are a 5 ways to green up your cleaning routine for your Spring cleaning this year:
- Make your own household cleaners: Ingredients like vinegar, baking soda, lemon juice, borax, or club soda can be combined to clean your home. The best part is that each of these is non toxic! Don't have the time to combine...purchase green cleaners such as Seventh Generation, Ecover and EcoDiscoveries products to name a few. Avoid using bleach or anything that contains chlorine.
- Take advantage of the the sun: Air dry your clothing and textiles or cloth diapers out in the sun. Save energy and let your clothes dry naturally. The sun is a natural brightener so consider hanging up your "whites" the sun will whiten them naturally.
- Consider purchasing a few houseplants: Help your indoor air quality and kill toxic chemicals by adding some spider plants, english ivy, gerbera daisies, or peace lilies to your decor. Or just open a window and let the fresh air in.
- Donate unwanted items: Drop off your unwanted belongings to your local thrift store or Freecycle them;
- Use Skoy clothes: Instead of using paper towels to clean with consider investing in a sustainable solution;
Do you have any natural/green spring cleaning tips? Do tell! :)