Welcome! Log in or Join us

Forums The Open Grid Power not tracking with main feeds

Subscribe to Power not tracking with main feeds 7 posts, 2 voices

Reply to topic

Lights_2_medium
Mar 9, 2013 5:18pm
156 posts

Hello Sam,

I wonder if you could bring some insight and reasons why a gadet would not track properly in one of my main power supplies. If you take a look in my dashboard you will notice that I have 3 primary gadgets that monitor the live power use: 1- Main Left, 2 - Main Right, 28 - Bedroom Plugs.

The 28 - Bedroom Plug is to monitor my daughters laptop which is a huge power hog. When ever the laptop cranks up and uses any power say 200 plus watts. These increases in wattage never reflect in any of the other power meters??

All other devices as soon as they turn on register fine and as far as I can tell are accurate. I have removed the gadget more than once thinking there was some broken association or link. But, it still does not track in either of the main power feeds.

As you're more than aware, accuracy is important in capturing meaningful data. Would you please look into my dash board and see if there is some broken code associated to the 28- Bedroom Plug. As I would very much like to ensure the data presented is truly accurate and sound.

As always I thank you for your continued support and gudiance and supplying us all a place to save our data to.

Teken . . .

Samotage_300_medium
Mar 9, 2013 11:42pm
555 posts

Hey Teken,

This little peculiarity is all about the data you are sending to SEG.  I checked, and made a new dash for you and it seems to me that the Circuit 28 is indeed not reflected in either the main feeds.

Because all these streams are showing the data you are sending (i.e. not calculated streams) then I'd be looking at your measurement installation.  Perhaps some sensors are in backwards, or the voltage taps are on the wrong phase?

One thing I do in these situations is get a good portable load like a hair dryer, kettle or fan heater.  Take this to number 28, fire it up, and see what happens on the main feeds.  If all is fight, you will see the big spike in the circuit 28 and it's corresponding phase feed.

The other thing I found peculiar is one of your main feeds tends negative?  Have you solar power?  If Circuit 28 is on this feed and you have solar, then what you have is a nett situation, and it will not really show on that sensor because your generated solar is not flowing through the sensor, instead into circuit 28.

Happy hunting!  And take your ipad ;)

Sam, @samotage

Lights_2_medium
Mar 10, 2013 12:36am
156 posts

Sam,

You're correct and spot on. I did the whole hair dryer thing and something is definately not wired, or programmed right. When I applied the hair dryer to the circuit 28 it appears on the gadget correct. But, it looked like only half of the load was seen on the Main Left?? What was really strange is that both of the meters spun around in complete circles on the SEG??

What would you think would cause such a thing to happen?? I only have a single phase system, and am thinking maybe someone wired the one circuit to the opposite service feed? Would that explain only half of the power being captured on the SEG?

Teken . . . 

Samotage_300_medium
Mar 10, 2013 1:11am
555 posts

Hey Teken,

Not knowing your setup, and knowing the measurement design is really critical - all I can suggest is to get out pencil and paper take a good look at your board and sensing setup to reverse engineer what's going on.

Then get out your hair dryer and test!

the gauge spun about because you must have hit a new maximum, and it as trying to calculate the new high power relative to this new max.  The new max gets calculated every 15 minutes or so, and your gauge will settle down in time.

Sam, @samotage

Lights_2_medium
Mar 10, 2013 1:17am
156 posts

OK, so the spinning thing is normal when a new max is received. This is good to know as I have seen this a few times and it does corrolate to a very high load kicking in.

I left some information for Ben at Brultech to give me some insight before I go monkey around with my GEM set up. I would prefer not to lose any data being sent to the SEG site.

As always Sam, I really appreciate your insight and continued support, you rock!

Teken . . .

Lights_2_medium
Mar 10, 2013 2:07am
156 posts

Sam,

I just noticed a odd thing I never saw in the two mains gadgets. The mains left has a extra box called *streams plugins* this box does not appear in the other mains right??

Also since I alerted you of the discrepencies there appears to be higher power readings showing up on the main left? Did you perform some magic in attempts to investigate this issue for me? Your insight and feed back is appreciated!

Teken  . . .

Samotage_300_medium
Mar 10, 2013 4:43am
555 posts

Hey Teken,

No magic on my end.  That plugin is some alpha stuff that has not yet made beta, this allows for rules to be defined based on stream data.

Sam, @samotage

Forums The Open Grid Power not tracking with main feeds

copyright © 2008 Smart Energy Groups pty ltd