Home

Welcome! Log in or Join us

Forums Getting Started Trouble adding new stream to existing device

Subscribe to Trouble adding new stream to existing device 9 posts, 2 voices

Reply to topic
 

 
Img_7693_medium
Sep 21, 2014 9:44pm
16 posts

My device has been transmitting data perfectly to SEG for the last 9 months.  Today I added another temperature value to the PUT request and am having trouble getting SEG to recognize the new stream.  I've run Discovery a few times but only the previoulsy recognized streams are discovered - the new one is no where to be seen!  Any suggestions for fixes?

Tracing the API, the PUT request is this:
(site 0f710dxxxxxxxx (node hot_pi ? (basement_air 16.44)(solar_collector_out 26.25)(boiler_to_1st_floor_heat 16.94)(boiler_exhaust 16.62)(2nd_flr_heat_return_to_boiler 17.00)(solar_circulator 28.56)(boiler_to_2nd_floor 16.88)(dhw_return_to_boiler 27.25)(solar_in 25.12)(dhw_tank_upper 29.44)(solar_return 23.75)(boiler_to_dhw 20.81)(dhw_tank_lower 21.00)(dhw_use 20.19)))

The second data element (solar_collector_out 26.25) is the new one that's not getting recognized.

 
Samotage_300_medium
Sep 22, 2014 1:16am
555 posts

Hey sroof,

The stream name you are sending won't work for discovery as it is not following conventions!

https://smartenergygroups.com/api

You could add the stream manually and all should be well as an alternative, or follow the convention ;)

Thanks,

Sam @samotage

 

 
Img_7693_medium
Sep 22, 2014 3:34am
16 posts

Aah, those conventions!

I successfully added my unconventionally-named stream manually, following the directions provided by kaynerichens at https://smartenergygroups.com/forums/11/topics/32

Sam - if my unconventional names are causing any troubles at your end, let me know and I will rename them conventionally.

 
Samotage_300_medium
Sep 22, 2014 9:48am
555 posts

No problem for me ;)

Conventions are there to make life easy.  You can always re-label them in SEG after discovery as the stream name in the API is not used for the general display.  There are two names, the one used by the API, which should follow the conventions and the one that describes what it is measuring.

Sam, @samotage

 
Img_7693_medium
Sep 22, 2014 5:53pm
16 posts

It seems that when I manually added a new stream to one of my devices, all the historical data for all the other streams that were (and still are) connected to this device disappeared.   Is this expected behavior?

 
Samotage_300_medium
Sep 29, 2014 7:00am
555 posts

No, this is not expected behaviour!

I will have a look.

Sam @samotage

 
Samotage_300_medium
Sep 29, 2014 7:03am
555 posts

Can you let me know what steps you are taking for this to happen?

Thanks, Sam.

 
Img_7693_medium
Sep 29, 2014 2:23pm
16 posts

Here’s what I did: I manually added the stream to my device named "Heating system" by choosing "Edit" device then "Add stream".  I filled out the fields and linked to data stream "solar_collector_out".  I recall that when I finished and tried to go back to my dashboard, I got the "cats are working under the hood" message.  Later when the SEG pages were functioning again, the new stream was flowing correctly as were all existing streams (that was 21 Sept 9:50 pm EDT).  But I discovered that all older data for all the other streams associated with this device were missing.  The data was missing for at least several days after 21 Sept, but I just checked and all the older data for those existing streams is back online again, so all is well, at least from my perspective!  

Thanks for maintaining such a useful web site!

 
Samotage_300_medium
Sep 29, 2014 9:16pm
555 posts

Ahh, some data maintainence work was likely going on, that would explain the cats,mane missing data ;)

Sam, @samotage

Log in to reply to this topic

Forums Getting Started Trouble adding new stream to existing device

copyright © 2008 Smart Energy Groups pty ltd